Sunday, September 08, 2013

First day of school as Fancy Nancy

Vanessa's started Grade 1. She was so excited for the day. This year Hailey I dropped her off to share in the excitement and help her with all the school supplies. It was so much fun to see all the kids and parents. Teachers and kids wore costumes.
Each year the school has a theme for the first day. This year they were dressed up as a story book character. I tried to sway Vanessa in another direction but knew that "Fancy Nancy" was going to be the final word. The good thing about her is that she has a lot of outfits and gave me creative license as long as it was "fancy". Fancy in the way little girls think it is with feathers, jewels, crowns but mostly over the top frilly.
I went with Vanessa to find fabric and a pattern. We couldn't agree on a pattern and she chose fabric with silver frills which I thought was too old for her so we left empty handed. I asked her to trust me and I went back a couple of weeks later and bought some pink damask print and a polka dot print and the ruffles. Everything went as planned and Voila! Fancy Nancy. Vanessa was thrilled!


The woman cutting the  frilly fabric at the store was shocked I was going to use it as pants. I told her that 6 year olds can get away with almost anything. What do you think? Does she pull it off? This outfit was a fair amount of work but I was happy to do it because she'll get a lot of wear out of it. Maybe not with the boa and jewels though...

2 comments:

  1. I've no idea who Fancy Nancy is but that's such a fab and fun outfit. The frills are def fine on a 6 year old too, good call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh those pants! so stinking cute

    ReplyDelete