Tuesday, February 25, 2014


The other night I proudly finished this blouse to go with the pants in the post below. It's the second Izzy top I've made. The first one had a perfect fit but this was on my petite pre-schooler. This one was for my almost 7 year old. Before hemming it and adding the button on the back, Vanessa tried it on. It's too small! So disappointed. I followed the guide for measurements but nothing is foolproof. Oh well. I know another girl who will be really happy.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Cotton pants.

Hi there! Good thing I write this blog because I enjoy it because whatever readers I may have attracted are long gone. Oh well. maybe these next few weeks will draw a few in.
For half a year, I've been on the side lines with a sore foot. Well not anymore. It's getting better slowly and I'm back to enjoying my family and sewing. Here's a picture that has both.

I had been searching for a draw string pants pattern for a couple of weeks. It's a great way to stay out of the sun. Hailey has a pair but Vanessa's kind of hard to fit to put it mildly. SisBoom put out the Katie Fancy Pants pattern. This pattern is worth the purchase for the thought that was put into the nice details. This is a drawstring pant with an elastic as part of the drawstring and the hems on the legs are very nice too. Sorry should have got a close up. They're sewn like jeans in that they have double top stitching. Time consuming but very effective.

Since I needed to cut 6 inches off the leg, I basically redrafted the pant legs. I think the results are worth it. I have one very happy customer. Now to make her a shirt that matches...

I sewed a rashguard shirt for me and it works great but you won't be seeing me in my bathing suit on this blog. I also made bottoms from Jocole Ladies Basic Brief Bottoms. They're a great pattern. I refined my bathing suit skills and learned more about elastic. Better to sew them than to buy.

Hopefully I'll be seeing you soon but I'm not making and empty promises.

Friday, December 06, 2013


A couple of weeks ago I tried to hem a pair of RTW (ready to wear) pants and I failed miserably. I did such a great job at hemming the first leg that I didn't notice it was done and hemmed it again. Now it's 4 inches to short. After some cursing and laughing, I put it aside. We had dinner and then I went crazy and started a new project even though I was obviously not focused. 
Vanessa loves dresses, actually I'm hard pressed to get either of my daughters in pants. It was Vanessa turn for a dress. I found a pattern that was perfect for her. The Bluebelle dress from My Childhood Treasures. I took Vanessa to the fabric store to pick out her fabric. She loved being there and looking at the pattern catalogs and choosing my next project but had little interest in the fabric. I found a beautiful herringbone pattern for a steal. It reads grey but when I put it beside black it's actually blue. The weight was perfect. There was no tag on the bolt to say it's content but it feels like a soft wool but washes beautifully. I paired it with a red stripe. 
Everything went smoothly. I didn't get out my seam ripper or recut a piece. I had a beautiful dress a couple of hours later. I hung it on Vanessa's door so she would find it in the morning and she was beaming. This dress has the best twirl! This dress' only fault is that I find it a little long but she won't let me turn it up. 

So here goes! the final product.